Size A (for Main Fabric)
- One 16″ circular needle and one set of double-pointed needles (DPNs)* in size needed to obtain gauge listed
- Suggested Size: 3¾ mm (US 5)
Size B (for Ribbing)
- One 16″ circular needle* three or four sizes smaller than Size A
- Suggested Size: 2¾ mm (US 2)
Size C (optional; for Tubular Cast On only)
- One 16″ circular needle* one size smaller than Size B
- Suggested Size: 2¼ mm (US 1)
*32″ circular needle can be used instead of 16” circular and DPNs if using the Magic Loop method for working small circumferences in the round.
Note: The body of the hat is a combination of stranded (2-color) rounds and single-color rounds. Some knitters do not get the same stitch gauge on the same needle between their colorwork and single-color knitting. If this is the case, you may wish to switch to an alternate needle size on single-color rounds to maintain the 7 stitches per inch gauge required for the pattern. We recommend Speed-Swatching for Circular Knitting.